Our gallery opens to the public this Friday and we couldn’t be more excited! When looking for the perfect gallery space, there was no better spot than SoWa. Below are 10 facts that you might not have known about the area:
(1) SoWa stands for “South of Washington” Street, homage to New York’s SoHo.
(2) The name SoWa was coined by GTI Properties and owner Mario Nicosia, who is credited for reviving the district.
(3) Before it was “SoWa,” the area was considered the mill and warehouse district.
(4) Now, the area is known as the arts district in Boston, with 27 galleries. 15 new shops and galleries are moving into 460C Harrison Ave over the next month.
(5) In the summer, SoWa Sundays offer an open market with crafts from local vendors, a farmers market, and the infamous New England food trucks.
(7) SoWa has the largest Whole Foods in Boston that includes a fish shack, juice bar, spa, and more!
(8) Abigail Ogilvy Gallery has moved into 460C Harrison Avenue, previously the building that hosted the vintage market and Mohr and McPherson storage space.
(9) The Vintage market is still open year round with antiques and collectibles in its new location in the building 450 Harrison Ave.
(10) Abigail Ogilvy Gallery, along with other galleries on Harrison Ave, will start participating in First Fridays on November 6.
Wednesday, October 14, 2015: Lacy Tell